RCMP believe a 25-year-old Burnaby male found drowned in the Keyhole Falls hot springs on Friday (Nov. 15) had mixed alcohol with a prescription medication he was on. The incident is still under investigation with the BC Coroner's Service.
The police got a call on Friday afternoon at 2 p.m. Two males and a female had were at the site, when one of the males made a round-trip ticket to the vehicle. When he returned, he found the female attempting to assist the victim.
Pemberton Search and Rescue mobilized with a helicopter but there was no landing spot in the area and daylight was limited. As a result, RCMP and Search and Rescue hiked into the area to secure the body overnight, and brought it out the next day.
The path to the hot springs is steep and technical, about 250 vertical metres straight down from the 44km mark on the Lillooet Forest Service Road.
The death is still being investigated, but police believe that the victim may have had a reaction related to alcohol and the prescription medicine he was on.
This story is still developing.
Suspect in hammer attack still in custody
The 16-year-old suspect in the Nov. 9 attack on another 16 year old in Pemberton will remain in police custody until at least Nov. 27, with police recommending that he continue to be held after his next court appearance.
On Nov. 13, the suspect made a court appearance, where the judge ordered a 14-day remand for psychological testing.
The police believe they have established a motive in the attack, which involved a hammer, knife and baseball bat, but are not releasing those details at this point.
The victim managed to flee his attacker, where he received first aid from neighbours until he could be taken to the Pemberton Clinic and transported from there to a hospital in the city. He was released after a few days.
The police are pursuing attempted murder charges in the incident.
Burns are controlled
Last week, residents of Pemberton may have seen several burns on the lower part Mt. Currie and might have been able to smell the smoke, but none posed any risk to the public - all were planned, controlled and permitted by forestry companies.
Robert Dombowsky, forest protection technician for the Pemberton fire base of the Coastal Fire Centre, said he'd rather people continue to call fires in to be on the safe side: "We do have calls come in (regarding slash pile burns), and that's a good thing because it means people are out there and seeing fires and calling them in," he said. "When it comes to forest fires, the earlier you know about them, the better."
This time of year is usually reserved for burning slash piles, which contain the woody debris from logging operations.