Whistler Fire Rescue Services has determined that a fire at Eva Lake Village that left upwards of 15 people scrambling for homes was likely related to a baseboard heater in the most heavily fire-damaged unit.
"We can't determine if it was a fault in the heater or in the way it was wired, there was too much damage, or if there could have been damage to the wire when it was installed," said Whistler fire chief Rob Whitton.
The wire ran through the wood 2x10 floor joists, which caught fire.
Whitton said there is almost no real way to check to see if your baseboards are installed properly or to determine if the wires are in good condition.
Meanwhile, Ian Lowe, the manager of the Crystal Lodge and Suites, thanked the community on behalf of his six employees that were displaced by the fire. They own three units in Eva Lake Village that they rent out as staff housing."
"The generosity of the community has been unbelievable, just the amount we've received from a couple of Facebook posts and shares," said Lowe, who set up a collection bin for the employees and has put all six affected employees up in the hotel until they can find an alternative.
"People are contributing things, and one of the employees lost a snowboard and a few other items, but what they really need now is a place to live."