Users of Anderson Lake Road are concerned that no maintenance has been performed on the route between D’Arcy and Seton Portage several months after the Supreme Court of B.C. declared it a public highway.
Coun. Ted Craddock shared that concern with Pemberton council on Tuesday (Oct. 1), after it was a topic of discussion at Monday’s (Sept. 30) meeting of the Squamish-Lillooet Regional District board.
The road, also known as Highline Road or the Douglas Trail, had been maintained by the Seton Portage – Shalalth District Chamber of Commerce (SPSDCC) until the court determined it was a public road in April.
“They’ve gone from fighting to get the road approved, to winning in Supreme Court, to the chamber of commerce not being able to complete … servicing of the road,” said Craddock. “Now, they’ve been told there will be no servicing there this winter.”
A letter from SPSDCC president Dennis DeYagher addressed to Minister of Transportation and Infrastructure Todd Stone appeared in the agenda package for Monday’s meeting.
“The chamber, as well as residents of the community, are becoming very concerned that this road is becoming very rough and will continue to deteriorate due to lack of maintenance,” wrote DeYagher. “With rain and rolling rock in the coming months, it could become quite hazardous.”
The chamber put forward a proposal that an Order in Council be made to declare the road as an emergency corridor. The road has been critical as an emergency route in the past, including during wildfire events and the 2003 floods in Pemberton. There is also a small population of permanent residents living along the road.