The definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over again, expecting different results.
Last November, 480 households were sent out a survey, for the Squamish-Lillooet Regional District to determine what sort of need, if any, for a community centre or programs. But before the survey was returned, the SLRD in all of its wisdom, or ineptitude, purchased yet another piece of property for a paltry, wait for it ... $560,000, so this new lake front property coupled with the house across the street, combined with the repairs to that property, they have now spent over $1 million, and we still have no legal access to the lake.
On March 4, the fine people from Poole Creek to D'Arcy were treated to the results of the $11,000 survey by the SLRD. Sixteen per cent of those polled returned the survey, 40 per cent of that 16 per cent show interest in paying for a community centre or programs, which represents roughly 30 homes, out of 480 polled. The other 84 per cent, either didn't trust the survey, or are satisfied with the status quo.
One of the arguments is that there isn't any public access to Gates Lake. However there is a free public park on the east side of the lake with a beach, and no train tracks, perhaps that's not expensive enough. Then there is the issue of not having a place to have programs, for years, we use to use the fire hall and its grounds, for events and get togethers.
The sad fact is, property values are dropping, and so is the tax base, we have to find a more inexpensive option, that has real benefit.
Years ago, the same thing happened with the Pemberton Community Centre, it started out with a budget of $4 million, then ballooned to $13 million.
Maybe that is the definition of insanity.