A chimney fire at the Fairmont Chateau Whistler on Friday evening (Jan. 11) saw the hotel evacuate guests and staff for 45 minutes while the fire department dealt with the situation.
The fire was reported at approximately 5:45 p.m., according to a press release sent out by the hotel's communications department later in the evening.
The hotel was evacuated immediately and Whistler Fire Department called. Firefighters extinguished the fire upon arriving soon after and at 6:30 p.m. hotel guests and staff were moved inside the ballroom.
At 6:52 p.m. the fire department cleared the hotel for guests to return to their rooms.
"Safety is the number one priority at The Fairmont Chateau Whistler and all standard procedures were followed during the evacuation," states the press release.
For more on this story see next Thursday's (Jan. 17) Question.